Below is an article I wrote for Deposit A Gift, you can read it right here on my Foss Fitness Blog or click HERE to read it from Deposit A Gift’s website!
We know, we know – the bride-to-be has got a million things to do! How in the world are you supposed to fit in a workout too? Well, all you need is the right plan and the right inspiration! And we’ve got just that from Laura Foss, a personal trainer in NYC. Follow her tips to stay on track and you’ll look flawless on your big day!
- Only 15 minutes to workout: STRETCH! We all know we should, but it often takes a back seat to our strength and cardio workouts. One of the greatest benefits of stretching is an increase in your range of motion. It’s also a great way to reduce stress – which every bride-to-be needs to do after organizing the seating arrangements, right? Stretch all major muscle groups/joints 1-3 times and hold stretches for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Only 20 minutes to workout: STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE! Not only can it aid in better posture and tone the stomach, building your core strength will also mean that you look confident and amazing in your wedding day pictures. My favorite core exercises are the Plank, Side Plank, Back Extensions and Swiss Ball Roll Outs.
- Only 30 minutes to workout: HIT THE TREADMILL FOR SOME INTERVALS! Whether you want to burn off last night’s cosmopolitans or sculpt the perfect lean body for your honeymoon, interval workouts give you the most band for your buck when it comes to cardio. Intervals involve alternating bursts of high-intensity exercise with periods of low-intensity recovery. A typical interval workout would start with a 5-minute warm-up at approx 3.5mph. Then sprint for two minutes (approx 6-6.5mph) followed by two minutes at a recovery pace (3.5mph). Repeat this cycle 5 times. Finish with a 5-minute cool-down.
- 45 minutes to workout: GRAB A TRX SUSPENSION TRAINER! The TRX is a versatile pice of equipment that you can set up almost anywhere: at home, in a hotel room, or even take it to the park. The TRX requires balance and core strength for every exercise. Keeping your workouts convenient is key to hitting your fitness goals before you walk down the aisle.
- 60 minutes to workout: TRY THIS METABOLIC WORKOUT! Not only is it one of the most efficient ways to burn fat, but it will keep your muscles looking slim and toned so you fit into your wedding dress flawlessly. In short, a metabolic workout is intense cardio mixed with resistance training that increases your metabolic rate for up to 48 hours after the workout. Want to give it a try? After starting with a 5-minute warm-up you will perform 15 reps of each of the exercises listed below, resting 30 seconds between exercises. One you have completed the 8 exercises, rest for 2 minutes and then repeat the entire workout three more times.
- Assisted Chin Ups
- Stationary Lunges
- Mountain Climber – 30 seconds
- Single Arm Dumbbell Row
- Jumping Jacks – 30 seconds
- Swiss Ball Roll Outs